Monday, August 18, 2008

How Fast is Fast?

(image courtesy of http://www.sportsnet.ca)
(click all photos to enlarge)

There are two other countries that I enjoy cheering for in this 2008 Olympics. I am pulling for
BRAZIL and
JAMAICA

Not because I have ever been to those countries. Not even because of the similar colors in their flags or that they are dark skinned people like myself (but it does weigh heavy in my mind).

But rather, I believe in the sportsmanship that the country's program sponsors and supports. Yesterday I was privileged to watch an awe inspiring event unfold before my very eyes, and it was beautiful.

The headlines read:

Jamaica sweeps women's 100m


I believe the true star of the hour last night was 21 year old Shelly-Ann Fraser. She was the winner of the women's 100m dash last night (Sunday). Her teammates Sherone Simpson and Kerron Stewart came in for the silver and the bronze in a "dead heat tie" according to the commentary on NBCOlympics.

A question boggled my mind. It rattled around in my mind so fiercely that I could not sleep until I found out. I just had to know. Shelly-Ann was clocked in 10.78 seconds in the 100m. How fast is this in miles per hour?

Well, I am no scholar of the metric system thing thanks to the education I received (or did not receive) at schools such as Pine Forest Sr. High. So I simply consulted the oracle, or rather the internet.

The website Machine Head Software has a Speed Distance Time Calculator that made the task of converting her numbers so easy. Unfortunately I had to round her 10.78 seconds up a little bit to the 10.8 mark, but in this instance it is surely forgiveable.

And the results from the calculation is that Shelly-Ann ran at an amazing, alarming, exciting speed of 20.7 miles per hour!

Here's proof of the calculations.